Senior High-Speed Photodetector Design Engineer
Intel Silicon Photonics Product Division (SPPD) is at the forefront of silicon photonics integration and is at the heart of Intel's transformation from a PC company to a company that powers the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing-devices. Since announcing the world's first hybrid silicon laser nearly a decade ago, our team continues to lead the industry with cutting-edge technology and efficient, scalable high-volume manufacturing. Our dedication to advanced development ensures that Intel Silicon Photonics continues to drive future data center bandwidth growth with smaller form factors, co-packaging and higher speeds from 400G today to 1.6T+ and beyond tomorrow. We are looking for great talent to accelerate this journey so if you are interested in joining our leading organization then we want to hear from you.
Intel's SPPD is currently seeking a Senior High-speed Photodetector Design Engineer to own and drive advanced high-speed photodetector and related high-speed component development and integration into our next generation products. The successful candidate will be responsible for silicon photonic components and photonic integrated chip (PIC) design, simulation, and characterization. You will work closely with other photonic component design engineers for device design, simulations, and chip floor planning and tape-out. The ideal candidate should exhibit behavioral traits that indicate:
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Defining high-speed photodetector architecture based on product requirement document and/or customer application specification
- Defining and documenting photodetector and Avalanche photodiode specifications
- Performing device design, electrical and optical simulation, chip layout and tape-out, characterization and performance debug
- Working with engineering and manufacturing teams to define fabrication process and test requirements
- Analyzing wafer-level test and die-level test data
- Driving subsystem build and test for device performance with electronic component integration
- Owning component reliability and qualification as well as device improvement and maturation from pathfinding through product release
In this position you will gain invaluable experience which will allow growth and expanded opportunities within this business group as well as future possible opportunities with other business groups within Intel.
You must possess the below minimum qualifications to be initially considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a similar discipline, with 2+ years of experience in a related field and relevant industry experience
- 2+ years of experience in designing, simulating, and testing high-speed photodetector and Avalanche photodiode as well as taping out photonic integrated chip.
- 2+ years of experience in using optical simulation tools such as Lumerical FDTD /Mode solutions, Beamprop, Fullwave, Fimmwave, Fimmprop, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in using process and device simulation tools such as Sentaurus and Silvaco.
- 2+ years of experience in using high-speed simulation tools such as HFSS and ADS.
- 2+ years of experience in using layout tools such as Candence and KLayout and numerical simulation tools such as Matlab.
- Experience in design and development of Ge on silicon-on-insulator waveguide-based photodetector and Avalanche photodiode up to 128GBaud data rate.
- Experience in Ge growth/process technology and its impact on Ge photodetector performance.
- Experience in high-speed receiver including knowledge in trans-impedance amplifier and RF packaging scheme.
- Experience in semiconductor device physics and fiber optical communication theory.
- Experience with high-speed signal integrity on chip and board and equalization effect on fast data transmission.
- Experience and knowledge in GeSn and III-V hybrid photodetector is a plus.
Inside this Business GroupThe Data Center & Artificial Intelligence Group (DCAI) is at the heart of Intel’s transformation from a PC company to a company that runs the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices. The data center is the underpinning for every data-driven service, from artificial intelligence to 5G to high-performance computing, and DCG delivers the products and technologies—spanning software, processors, storage, I/O, and networking solutions—that fuel cloud, communications, enterprise, and government data centers around the world.
Posting StatementAll qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance.
BenefitsWe offer a total compensation package that ranks among the best in the industry. It consists of competitive pay, stock, bonuses, as well as, benefit programs which include health, retirement, and vacation. Find more information about all of our Amazing Benefits here.
Annual Salary Range for jobs which could be performed in US, California: $139,480.00-$209,760.00
*Salary range dependent on a number of factors including location and experience